Salad Bar – $7.69/pound!!
Every day brings a slightly different array of salad mixings, but available every day are some type of fresh organic salad greens and an assortment of grated and chopped raw veggies – carrots, beets, edamame, artichoke hearts, corn, tomatoes, sprouts, broccoli…. Each day’s prepared salads often include a soy protein, potato, grain, fruit, bean, pasta, and sea vegetables. The fresh salad dressings include miso balsamic, lemon tahini, Sally’s sesame, and Annie’s ranch & papaya poppy seed. Come try it out!
- Tofu Salad wrap
- Curry Chicken wrap
- Hummus wrap
- Un-Chicken Salad wrap
- Tuna Salad sandwich
- Blaze’s Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich
- Turkey & Provolone sandwich
Our sweets are sure to satisfy. You’ll find a different fresh muffin everyday. And cookies to the delight of all: chocolate chip, vegan oatmeal chocolate chip, and vegan raspberry ginger oatmeal. Also thrilling are the oh so sweet cakes. Carrot cake and vegan chocolate cake are two of our specialties. Whole cakes can be special ordered with a 3 day notice.
How much of the food on the salad bar and in the deli case is organic?
A very good question, and one that’s a bit tricky to answer. Let’s start with the salad bar. First of all, everything fresh – greens, chopped and grated raw vegetable, sprouts, vegetables in prepared salads such as potato salad – is organic. So that’s a pretty hefty chunk of what’s out there. Dairy is a bit different. If eggs are out there, they’re organic. Cheeses are sometimes organic, but sometimes they are all natural specialty cheeses that are not necessarily from a certified organic source. They are all extremely high quality products and carefully selected by the deli manager. In other words, there’s never anything bottom dollar about any of the ingredients on the bar.
The same goes for the deli and bakery cases. Typically the baked goods are 100% organic. The sandwiches and entrees in the grab-n-go case are primarily organic, too. The same applies to these things as it does for the salad bar. Vegetables that were used in casseroles or on sandwiches are generally always organic. And as far as meats go, the chicken is always organic free range and the tuna and wild caught salmon are natural dolphin safe white albacore. The mayonnaise of choice is Vegannaise, which is organic and dairy free. Moving on to the smoothie, juice, and coffee bar, ALL of the smoothies, ALL of the juices, and ALL of the coffees and coffee fixings are organic. So, as best can be said, the deli and salad bar are “nearly all” organic. If you have any specific concerns about a specific item, please don’t hesitate to ask the deli staff for help.
But what is it made of?
Ingredients in grab-n-go items are listed on the label. Salad bar and bakery case items’ ingredient lists are available at the counter. Right now the only distinction noted on signs are to indicate whether an item is vegan or not. Vegan items are noted as such and items not noted as vegan contain either eggs, dairy, or both. We are working on a system to give you more information about ingredients and realize that there are many co-op shoppers with specific food needs do to allergies or medical conditions. Suggestions are welcome.
I love your salad dressings. Can I buy some to take home with me?
As a matter of fact, you can take home some of our deli’s fresh-made signature salad dressings. Just ask the a deli staff member for assistance and they will package your favorite in a 16 oz. bottle. Choose from white miso balsamic, lemon tahini or Sally’s sesame. And thanks for loving them!
Organic Juices, Coffee and Smoothies
Did you know that the Co-op’s Coffee Bar doubles and triples as a Juice and Smoothie Bar, too? Sure enough, you can get smoothies and fresh juices of absolutely the highest quality. Choose from delicious creations such as the
- Amazon Warrior: acai, bananas, chocolate, protein powder, coconut milk, almond milk
- Nutty Professor: almond butter, chocolate chips, banana, soy milk
- Luscious and Lite: raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, banana, apple juice
- Coco Cabana: pineapple, strawberry, mango, banana, guava nectar, coconut milk
- Incredible Hulk : mango, pineapple, spirulina, banana, soy protein
- Amazon Surfer: acai, raspberry, pineapple, apple juice, banana
- Yoga Blend: peaches, strawberry, mango, banana, guava nectar
- The Yerbe: yerba mate mint, honey, bananas, peaches, mango
- Fruit Dream: banana, peach, starwberry, yogurt, apple juice
- Happy Hemp ‘n’ Butter: hemp milk, almond milk, almond butter, hemp protein, spirulina, banana
- Banana Berry: apple juice, banana, strawberry
- Sweet Bee: banana, raspberry, strawberry, honey, milk product
- Tension Tamer: celery stalks, spinach, apple
- Youth Tonic: beet, carrots, apple, ginger
- 14 Carrot: orange, carrots, ginger
- Cold Killer: apples, garlic
- C – Breeze: lemon, apple, blueberries, orange
- The Green Machine: parsley, spinach, celery, cucumber
- The Energizer: parsley, spinach, celery, carrot
- The Grasshopper: wheatgrass, ginger, apple
- V-5: your choice of 5 fruits and vegetables
All juices and smoothies are made to order with fresh or fresh frozen organic fruits and vegetables. Don’t forget to pick up a club card next time you get a smoothie at the Co-op – buy nine smoothies and your tenth is free.
Gourmet Cheeses – Great Prices
One section of the Co-op’s grab-n-go cooler is stocked with a small selection of gourmet cheeses. These beautiful and delicious cheeses are offered at well below typical grocery store or specialty shop prices. The regional cheese offerings include Chapel Hill Creamery and goat cheeses from Tina Mueller of Nature’s Way Farm in Hampstead – we usually stock her soft cheeses, feta and other seasonal specialties.
“Green” paper goods
Many of the pieces of the deli’s packaging are recycled, recyclable or biodegradable, too. The napkins and plates are made of recycled materials. The plates, cups, bowls, and boxes are all compostable. We also have re-usable plates and silverware for eating in.